Patreon is a website that allows people to support individuals that create "content" (in my case, art).
What is your part in that?
As a patron, you can support the artist's work with small donations (that can be $3, $5, $10 or whatever amount the person wants to donate). By doing so, not only you support that artist so it can continues to create the content you like, but it also gives you access to rewards based on the amount you donated.
What is my part in that?
As the artist, I create art and offer additional "rewards" for the people that support my work on a monthly basis.
What are those "rewards"?
Depending on the donation amount, you will get: High res versions of the drawings (~4000px resolution), Step by step stages of the drawings, the original .psd file with all the layers and be able to vote and help me choose future drawings.
In order to make it easier to understand, I made a small chart with the things you can get.
Basically, if you are interested to support my work at www.patreon.com/krysdecker, with a $3 donation, you'll get all the high resolution versions of the images. With $5 donations, you'll also get the work in progress shots of each image, and the .psd files as well.
The $90 and $250 are specifically for people that would like to comission art from me and get the patreon rewards for that month as well . Which leads me to my next topic.
Currently those are the options for comissions:
- Sketches are basically quick drawings of a character in a very early stage. It has rough edges, B&W, no backgrounds, more focused on shapes than details. Ideal if you just want to see your character come to life.
- Portraits are well .. portraits of a character. Focused on the expression and mood of the character.
- Pin-ups are an artistic view of the character. While it usually involves a bit of teasing and suggestion but it's not required. It comes with a basic background that wraps the character in a context.
- Full image comission is the whole deal. A big scene with a detailed character, background and everything.
My Gumroad (gumroad.com/krysdecker) is an alternative way of supporting my work. It's basically an online store where you can purchase:
- Pin-ups: ~4000px resolution .JPGs (NSFW included)
- Other works (such as Yrel, Way of the Monks etc): ~4000px resolution .JPGs + .PSD file with all layers + Step by step stages of the drawing.
With all that, how will my deviantart work?
It will work exactly like it always did, so no worries. I'll still post my work here (and other places like facebook, artstation etc) in the same resolution I always did, which is usually 1080p or something like that. I mean, I've been doing that for the past 6-7 months and it didn't change anything, so rest assured it will be that way .
Hope that gives you a better idea of how those sites works, but if you have any questions, let me know